How to find the most effective skin care products for your skin type?
Even though identifying skin care based on your skin type can seem like a no-brainer, the truth is that many people pick products that do more harm than good. This is because crafting the perfect skin care routine can be a complex task that requires you to dig a little deeper into what your skin needs. In other words, instead of simply picking up products that promise to hydrate your skin if you have dry skin, you must evaluate the ingredients used in the products to truly gauge whether they will suit you.
The reason behind this is that even the slightest alterations in ingredients can have an adverse impact on your skin. Of course, you don’t need a degree in Chemistry to find the best products based on your skin type! Just bookmark this article and refer to it the next time you go shopping.
What products should you choose based on your skin type?
The next time you find yourself browsing through product catalogues, don’t let yourself be swayed by packaging, models, and even influencer-generated content. Instead, keep an eye out for the following ingredients based on your skin type:
- What to use if you have oily skin? If you have oily skin, you should use products that hydrate your skin. Yes, this sounds counter-intuitive, however, your skin is oily because its dehydrated and is producing high levels of sebum to make up for the same. So, pick products with hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid (to combat acne) or glycolic acid, and benzoyl peroxide.
- What to use if you have dry skin? If you have dry skin, you need products that will not only hydrate your skin, but also exfoliate the top layer mildly. This will ensure that your skin looks healthy and radiant. Do not use items with coconut oil – even though the ingredient is being hyped by digital influencers, it will most definitely clog your pores and cause blackheads and acne!
- What to use if you have combination skin? If your skin is dry in some areas and oily in the others, then you can use a combination of products to address the needs of your skin. Products with Hyaluronic acid are often considered good for most skin types, mainly because the ingredient hydrates the skin and even boosts collagen production for some people. If you feel as though your skin is losing its elasticity, then use moisturizers that have this ingredient. Additionally, you can also use mild cleansers that don’t strip away your skin’s oils. Stay away from products with parabens!
- What to use if you have sensitive skin? If your skin is sensitive, use soothing ingredients like aloe vera to reduce redness and inflammation. Moisturizers with Shea butter and oatmeal scrubs are good options too!
- What to use if you have mature skin? Mature skin needs extra care to prevent the formation of new wrinkles and to minimize the appearance of existing ones. Use products that have collagen, retinol, hyaluronic acid, and Vitamin A and E to restore your skin’s youth!
Craft the perfect skincare routine by checking out our blog regularly. Win a voucher worth $50 by commenting below and telling us about your skin type!